Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Free Pattern ~ Super Bulky Messy Bun Hat


So the other day I got a request for ome of my messy bun hats with THREE different colors of yarn at the same time.  .  I have done 2 strands of worsted weight yarn with no problem but never worked with 3 at the same time...but I was about to try.  

Working with 3 strands of yarn is tricky.  You have to be super careful with every stitch to make sure that you didn't drop any of the strands which really slows down the process.  Also, it works up very stiff so you have to watch you tension to make sure that you are not making your stitches too tight.  Making loser stitches will allow it to have some stretch to it and ultimately more comfortable to wear.


I will be honest, I almost gave up on this hat about 5 times because I thought surely it was too thick and bulky and was no way going to be comfortable.  I am so glad that I did not though.  The finished hat is gorgeous with the three colors and I think that the extra bulk to it actually gives it a fun quality.




Just look at how beautifully the colors mix together!  It is such a different look using multiple yarns verses one strand of multi-colored.


So here is how I did it...


Super Bulky Messy Bun Hat

Materials
3 worsted weight skeins of yarn in color of choice. I used Hobby Lobby's I Love This Yarn in Turquoise, white, and Grey Mist
Size J/6mm hook
Scissors
Darning Needle for weaving in ends

Finished hat measured 8" tall and 10" wide

Band
Row 1: Chain 7, SC in 2nd chain from hook and across (6sts). Chain 1 and turn
Row 2: SC in 1st stitch, SC in back look only of next 4 sts, SC in both loops of last st (6sts) Chain 1 and turn
Row 3-x: Repeat row 2 until band measures 20" or until fits comfortable around head.
Fold the band in half and join the ends together to form a circle using slip stiches.  Turn band so that the seam is on the inside and Right Side is facing out.

Body
Round 1: Chain 1, SC in each row around the band {number of stitches will depend on the total rows used to make band}.  Join with a slip stitch to first SC
Round 2-3: Chain 2, DC in each stitch around.  Join to first DC.
Round 4-5: Chain 2, *DC in first 3 stitches, DC2tog, repeat from * to end. {I ended up with 3 stitches left on the end so I worked a DC and DC2tog for the last 3 stitches}
Round 6: Chain 2, *DC in first 2 sts, DC2tog, repeat from * to end. {again, I didn't have the correct number sts to work the pattern evenly to the end so I just altered it to what looked best to me}
Round 7: Chain 1, *SC in first st, SC2tog, repeat from * to end.
Fasten off and weave in ends.  You can use either your crochet hook or a darning needle for this part.  I found the needle to be easiest when working with so many strands.


I am off to deliver this little beauty.  If you give this hat a try, let me know who it worked out for you.  I would love to hear about all those beautiful color combos!!  


Happy Crocheting, 

~Maggie 

4 Comments:

  1. Just finished this hat using super bulky yarn instead of the 3 strands together and it came out great. Thank you for a great pattern

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used a Caron Chunky Cakes in Sweet and Sour color. I have made a scarf, this cap, leg warmers and after this beanie I'm doing fingerless gloves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to have to check out that yarn! I usually don't work with chunky yarns but lately I have been doing more. I love that things made with chunky yarn work up so much quicker.

      Delete