Thursday, November 15, 2018

How I Made My Own Graphics For Free

I shared in a previous post about how I made my own business logo for free and today I am going to tell you how I made my own graphic using those logos so that all areas of my business match, something that is very important to any business.  

In the past I have paid others to make graphics for me which can be a great option especially if you have no idea what you are looking for in your graphics.  A professional designer can help create the perfect logo for you and create the necessary graphics for all your platforms.  But hiring someone else can be costly, especially if you are just starting out.  And since I already created my logo I decided to go ahead and whip up the rest on my own.  

Business Card side 1

There are several different sites and apps that I could have used to create my graphics but I decided to go with PicMonkey.   PicMonkey requires you to have a subscription.  I am not sure if you are able to use a limited amount of their services without the subscription but for what I was wanting to do I needed to have it.  Luckily they too had a limited free trial, 7 Days.  So I had another time crunch to get done everything that I needed.

Business Card Side 2

There was several things right off the bat that I knew I would need: Facebook page cover photo, Etsy shop banner, Blogger header, and a business card.  All of which are pretty easy to do with the desktop version of PicMonkey.  When you go to their site there are 4 options at the top that you can chose from: Edit, Touch Up,  Design, and Collage. To make my items I needed to use the design option.


Etsy Shop Mini Banner

Once I went to the design option I had to get a templet to make sure that my graphics were the correct size.  I have learned from previous experience that you have to have a specific size graphic for different sites or they will not work right and will look awful and defeat the purpose of all your hard work.  PicMonkey has a blank templet for the facebook cover photo and business cards so I just selected that option.  For the other ones I had to use the custom size option and put in the size I needed.  

Etsy has 2 different shop banner options .  The first one, Etsy Mini Banner, I made it 1200x160, for the Etsy Cove Banner I went with 1200x300, and for the Blogger Header I made it 1140x300.  Blogger allows you to customize their width of your blog so there is a little leeway on the size.  

Etsy Cover Photo

I decided to use my banners to display some of the items that I have made since there was already going to be a profile picture that I would be using my logo on.  I just selected photos I already had on my computer and arranged them how I wanted on the banner and then saved them.  Unfortunately PicMonkey does not allow you to adjust the templet size once you made a graphic, or at least I couldn't figure that out.  So instead of just being able to adjust the size from Facebook to Etsy, I had to star tall over and make another banner.  Luckily it wasn't too hard since I just made one and knew exactly what I wanted. 

Blogger Header #1

When it came time to make my Blogger header I was getting kind of tired of adding all the product photos from my computer and decided to just take one of the banners I already made and put it right on the header templet.  It worked perfectly and left room for me to add my logo and a couple words. I went ahead and made a Blogger header without the added words because I know I have a tendency to change my mind on things and I only have a couple days unless I want to pay the subscription fee.

Blogger Header #2

I basically did the same exact thing to make my business card.  I decided to go ahead and make a front and a back side to my card even though I am not sure yet if I want to actually have a 2 sided card yet.  I like to attach my business card to my items like a gift tag when I am wrapping them for shipping so I want something that looks great.  As I was making my business card I realized all the different variations of user names I had going on but unfortunately on some sites the one I wanted was already taken so I had to vary it slightly.

I hope this will help you get creative and save a little money.  It was a bit time consuming making all these graphics but definitely worth it.

~Maggie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment