Thursday, December 5, 2019

Free Crochet Pattern - Giant Oversized Scarf


While scrolling through Pinterest the other day I came across a fun pattern for an ear warmer from A Crafty Concept and couldn't wait to make them.  I quickly whipped up a few and fell in love with the texture.  So much that I decided to make myself a giant scarf to match my favorite slouch hat.

Scarfs are one of my favorite things to make.  They can be easily customized to any size you want, you don't really need a pattern, and you can use nearly any stitch and still end up with a beautiful, cozy scarf.


This scarf is made using a simple lemon peel stitch, which is basically alternating single and double crochet stitches.

Lemon Peel Scarf

Finished Size 10" x 78"

Materials Used

Size 5.5 crochet hook

worsted weight yarn {I used Hobby Lobby's I Love This Yarn in Sungold and it took about 1.5 skeins}

Directions

Chain 27.  

Row 1: DC in second chain from hook, SC in next stitch.  Continue alternating DC and SC to end.  (26 sts) Chain 2, turn. 

Row 2: (DC, SC) across.  (26 sts) Chain 2, turn.  

Repeat rows 1 & 2 until scarf measures desired length.  I made mine 78" long, about 156 rows.  



For the fringe, I cut strips of yarn and attached them to the ends by looping them through the stitches.  I used 3 strands of yarn for each tassel and spaced them every other stitch, but you can add as much or little fringe as you want or simply leave it off.  I ended up having to trim the fringe a bit to make it even and it ended up being about 5" long.

I hope you enjoy making this scarf as much as I did!! 

~Maggie



0 Comments:

Post a Comment